Recipes for Toothpaste and Mouth rinse
Brush teeth thoroughly with homemade toothpaste or other toothpaste if you prefer.
- Brush for 4-5 mins with a soft, manual toothbrush or 2 minutes with an electric toothbrush
- Use homemade mouth rinse for 3-5 seconds
- Scrape tongue. I like the BreathRx tongue scraper found here
- Rinse well with water
- I like the Sonicare Toothbrush. It can be found in stores like Target or Costco as well as online at Amazon. It has a 30 second time that notifies when to change quadrants. Read instructions.
- Sonicate for Kids is great for children over 3 years old because it has an app that notifies the parent if the brushing time has been completed or just turned on to trick you ;)
- Toothpaste is an abrasive that is suspended in another medium. I do not like to sugar or sweeteners in my dental products so I have been using this for my dental routine.
- 1 part Bob's Mill Baking soda (no aluminum & natural). It can be found at natural markets or online here
- 5-6 parts Organic unrefined, cold pressed Coconut oil. I like this one found here
- Optional: a few drops of peppermint oil
- *****IMPORTANT: Spit into the trash can and not down the sink. It is an oil after all******
- Mix thoroughly and store in a container. I put some in a little dish next to my sink in the bathroom and spoon some onto my toothbrush.
- You can also use this for oil pulling by taking a tablespoon and swirl and swish for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to discard afterwards in the trash can.
- Coconut oil will become very solid at cold temperatures and liquidy at warmer temperatures. If mixture becomes too liquidy and baking soda falls to the bottom, place mixture in the fridge for a bit and it should firm up
Alternately, you can use a 1 to 1 ratio diluted hydrogen peroxide + baking soda paste to brush your teeth.
Mix both until it forms a paste and brush. Make sure to rinse thoroughly after using.
***Be aware that hydrogen has a slight drying effect. If you experience a drying effect and it causes discomfort, try adding more water or discontinue use.
Homemade Mouth Rinse
Please brush and clean teeth prior to eating or drinking anything upon waking up. Overnight and long hours of sleep are a prime time for plaque formation and bacterial growth. You don't want to ingest what has been brewing overnight. This rinse will not only leave your teeth feeling cleaner, helps with healing sores and preventing food from sticking to your teeth. Please discontinue use if discomfort is noted just as with any product you use. Products shouldn't burn or cause sores in your mouth.
***There are situations where this rinse may not be appropriate such as after major surgeries that have stitches in place, exposed dental pulp, or open wounds that are not healing, highly sensitive teeth. Listen to your body and if it hurts, don't do it.
***Be aware that hydrogen peroxide has a slight drying effect. If you experience a drying effect and it causes discomfort, try adding more water or discontinue use.
- Do not shake the bottle, the oxygen bubbles will be released.
- Do not put solution into a metal container. Keep stored in a dark glass or plastic container.
- Do not overuse. 1-2 times a day is enough. If you overuse this rinse it could allow opportunistic infections such as thrush. The balance of bacteria causes these types of fungal infections from developing. They're not all bad after all!
- I also suggest vigorous water rinses after eating anything
*If taste is bothersome or stings, add a little more water. Can do a 2 part water to 1 part peroxide mixture.
- May be used after pungent meals or food such as raw onions or garlic to erase residual odors and tastes
- This rinse helps prevent food from sticking to the teeth
- Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide with water in equal parts (this means half peroxide, half water). Refer to The bottle for instructions on dilution. I will fill a half bottle of peroxide with water to premix and use the original container.
- Rinse vigorously to release oxygen bubbles 1x/am after brushing for only 3-5 seconds
- Scrape/clean tongue with tongue scraper. I use the BreathRx tongue scraper. It can be found here
- Rinse well with water
- Do not rinse with other mouth rinse products after. They cancel the effects of this rinse.